Around the first century B.C., the Romans founded the city of Luni, and after discovering the marble deposits, began to quarry them. The marble deposits were mined and transported by wagons to the port of Luni where the marble was loaded onto ships and transported throughout the Empire. The first villages in Carrara were settlements established for the purpose of extracting the marble. With the fall of Rome, the marble quarrying stopped, to be resumed a few centuries later and with greater consistency under the rulers of the period, the bishops, the Malaspina family, the Florentines, the Lucchese, the Milanese, the Dukes of Carrara, and the duchy of Modena. With the advent of Napoleon, Carrara came under Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi, who ruled from 1806 to 1814.
The activities related to quarrying and working with marble in Carrara have always gone hand in hand with its artistic and cultural development, also thanks to the foresight of the leaders. Countless great artists have come here to select the best materials for their works, in practices that were promoted to an even greater extent when the Malaspina family, the Lords of the city, established the Academy of Fine Arts in 1769.
Situated to the extreme north of Tuscany, Marina di Carrara is a well-equipped seaside resort. The Port of Carrara is one of the most functional sea ports in Europe, and one of the main world-wide ports of call for transporting natural stone.
The itinerary follows the evolution of its main product, marble.